Predicting ‘06: Enterprise is the new legacy 27 Dec 2005
53 comments Latest by Tim
In the face of the new year, here’s a single 37signals’ prediction for 2006:
Enterprise will follow legacy to become a common insult among software creators and users.
Enterprise software vendors’ costs will continue to rise while the quality of their software continues to drop. There will be a revolt by the people who use the software (they want simple, slim, easy to use tools) against the people who buy the software (they want a fat feature list that’s dressed to impress).
This will cause enterprise vendors to begin hemorrhaging customers to simpler, lower cost solutions that do 80% of what their customers really need (the remaining 20% won’t justify the 10x-100x cost of the higher priced enterprise software “solutions”).
By the end of 2006, it will be written that enterprise means bulky, expensive, dated, and golf.